June 20, 2010

havasupai

Have you ever had one of those nightmares where you are lost in the dark, wandering, and cant find your way? And with every turn you take, you feel more and more panic? WELL I LIVED IT.
It was 1:30am and we were in the Supai Villlage at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It was pitch black, we only had our flashlights to guide us and every turn we took, lead us to a dead end. We had been wandering for a half hour, trying to get out and i was on the verge of losing it! I couldn't believe i was actually living out one of those nightmares, and i thought we were never going to get out. Thankfully, we had ran into these two Indians(at two in the morning, weird right?)named Quaid and Long Hair who had showed us the way out. The whole thing was so weird( and scary), i still don't believed it really happened.
Yesterday, we had just gotten back from hiking Havasupai. We had hiked about 25 miles in a little over 24 hours(which is crazy). I have bruises on my shoulders from my pack and Abe and i are walking like we are 80 years old, because we are so sore...but it was ALL worth it.
I forgot how amazing and beautiful it is down there! If you have ever been, you know that it is this unexpected little paradise, with huge waterfalls and this beautiful clear blue water. We had met up with my parents, at the bottom, and it was so much fun(other than that whole getting lost thing)! here are some pictures:







my mom and my step-dad, Charlie



Abe in the mist




To get to one of the falls, you have climb down the side of a cliff, only having chains that are nailed in, to hold on to.


our campsite


sorry the videos are sideways.. i dont know how to fix that, just tilt your head.




ps. i know everyone wants to see pictures of our house, but i feel like i cant until i am done decorating/unpacking...soon though

5 comments:

Veronica said...

quaid and long hair?! ha! that seems like the only way that story should've ended.

i want to go to this paradise. all the water in kentucky is brown.

CUTRER said...

that is so cool, where is this place you guys went to. I think when we ever make it down we need to go.

Jen Beckstrand said...

Jealous! I have always wanted to try havasupai! Sounds like I had better start training for it though. So pretty!

Familia Bethers said...

Did you say "Ape in the mist?"

Katie B. said...

Isn't it the best!? I went when I was 18 - just after graduation. Hopefully, I'll get to go again someday, it was such a wonderful experience. I'm glad you and Abe got to go! Pretty pictures.