July 15, 2008

why am i still talking?



i don't know if I've always been like this, or i am just now realizing it... I am awkward. i mean like the "i-make-other-people-feel-uncomfortable" kind of awkward. i get in these situations where i'll start talking,( but it doesn't really sound like talking, more like a bunch of unfinished words) and then realize that i am being awkward, then i panic, my mind goes blank, and there is usually a long pause . sometimes i try to fix it, and other times i will just give up in the middle of the sentence and stop talking. a few people will try to be nice and just go along with it, but most of the time i will just get blank stares. I'm being serious. This happens on average of six to ten times a week.
Actual sentences i have said in the last week:

to the laurels: " so, are you, uh i mean me or we going bring treats, er or uh food to eat,...... or umsome("umsome" is a word i use quite frequently) snacks for the meeting?.... you know to plan....activities... for ummmmmm....... mutual?"

to my mother- in- law:" i think we are uh, going on Friday to get pedicures, me and karla, friday right? you can come i don't know where(meaning the place) or are you, or do you want to come? Friday.

to a client:" how was Pittsburgh's? didn't you guys just go there on vacation?" Client- " uh, no we didn't" me- " oh thats right, you guys just moved into your new house" Client-" uh no, we haven't moved??" At this point , i feel like the client hates me because i can not remember a single thing about them and i am getting them mixed up with someone else. i feel stupid, they feel stupid and i just stopped talking. Luckily, it was just a bang trim and it only lasted five minutes.

ahhhhhhhhh! I am embarrassed for myself!! I don't even know how i can avoid stuff like this? Even if i thought it out before i said it, it still come out wrong. This is just how i am and i have accepted it and I'm just going to live my life one awkward moment at a time.

11 comments:

chelsea :: stock said...

ahh I heart you friend.

thats funny. real funny.

I think it's because we are getting older. all of a sudden we are losing motor skills... like speaking, and feeding ourselves.

only like, four weeks till I come to AZ again! yesssss

hanner said...

umsome? more like AWESOME

megan said...

I think it's endearing. But then again I have a tendency to start mumbling halfway through my sentences so the end result is complete incoherent and I have to repeat myself. And then I mumble again.

Unknown said...

Embrace the uncomfortable moments! Allow the other person to be uncomfortable and pretend it is all their fault... nothing is better than making people second guess themselves! Own it!

Taylor said...

And I quote "Even if i thought it out before i said it, it still come out wrong."

"come out wrong"!?

That was the funniest line of the whole entry.

You're not alone, we all do it.

Taylor and Meg

Jami said...

Well it must run in the family, because I basically live my life regretting what just came out of my mouth! I stay up late at night reviewing the stupied things I said that day, and can't go to sleep because I am MORTIFIED!!! So rest asure that you are not alone in this trial!

Whitney said...

Jessica, This is Whitney Jami Parkers cousin. You kill me. I was laughing so hard at this post. I do the same thing sometimes. Usually when Im tired.

angela hardison said...

You are hilarious, and don't worry - you're not alone. I have major speaking problems.

Anyway, about your thrifting question: I go to LOTS of different places. I have lots of luck in stores near my house because I'm in an area where there are 1. lots of old people that die (sad I know, but they leave good things for me!), and 2. lots of white trash people (also mean I know, but they pass up the good things!). Goodwills and Lutheran thrift shops are my favorite.

Familia Bethers said...

LOL! Oh Jess, it's a good thing you fit right in with the Reyna's! I mean, between our thick accents, and weird behavior, loud laughter, I think you are the normal one ... maybe ;-)

CUTRER said...

I have found my self doing the same thing but with the braces on lately the kids an Paul like to make fun of how words are coming out of my mouth and some times I am looking at the thing that I want to talk about and something diff comes out of my mouth!!! and with my blog you should go check it out I also do it when I am blogging!! I blame it on it being my sec langue ?QUE? LOL

Unknown said...

You crack me up!